On Monday, March 12, numerous DC law firms competed in the Washington Lawyers’ Committee’s 2018 Cooking for Kids Bake Sale and Taste-Off competition. This year’s Bake Sale and Taste-Off again raised thousands of dollars to support academic enrichment activities for students at DC public schools throughout the city, including those in educational partnerships with law firms participating in the Committee’s DC Public School Partnership Program.
The Program, which provides tutoring, mentoring and other supportive services that benefit more than 10,000 DC public school students annually at 52 DC public schools, is one of several Projects of the Washington Lawyers’ Committee.
This year’s judges for the Taste-Off competition were distinguished culinary experts Executive Chef Frank Ruta and Baker Elizabeth LoGalbo of Mirabelle; Brian Hill, Owner and Chef of Chef Brian’s Comfort Kitchen; and Alex Kramer, Owner and Chef of Dos Gringos Café in Mount Pleasant.
Many thanks to all law firms, bakers, purchasers, and judges who participated in this year’s successful event!
2018 Cooking for Kids Taste-Off Results
1. Mixed Berry Eggnog Cheesecake – baked by Sean Robinson at DLA Piper US LLP
2. Strawberry Overload Cupcake – baked by Adam Grovia at Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
3. Twix Cupcake – baked by Talya Hutchison at Paul Hastings LLP
1. Apple Pie – baked by Gaither Thompson at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
2. Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie – baked by Sean Robinson at DLA Piper US LLP
3. Peach Cheesecake Trifle – baked by Tracy Jenkins at Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
1. Salted White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies – baked by Sean Robinson at DLA Piper US LLP
2. Nilpfeed Cookie – baked by Renete Alison at Winston & Strawn LLP
3. Chocolate Chip Cookies – baked by Corey Kestenberg at Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
For more information about the Committee and its D.C. Public School Partnership Program, click here.